I speak and write a lot about BIG is Little and Little is BIG. The basic concept is this: if you want big things in your life, you have to be willing to take the little steps every day that lead to big things. Obviously, this means every action you take is a big deal because every action, no matter how large or small, either moves you closer to success or further away from it.
Have you ever considered that the promises you make to yourself either move you closer to the big things you want or further away from them? This is exactly what John Wooden, former UCLA basketball coach and winner of ten NCAA Basketball Championships, believed. According to his own words, “Success and happiness come from making and keeping nine promises.”
9 Promises for Success and Happiness
- I promise to talk health, happiness, and prosperity as often as possible.
- I promise to let all my friends know there is something in them that is special to me and that I value.
- I promise to think only of the best, to work only for the best, and to expect only the best in myself and others.
- I promise to be just as enthusiastic about the success of others as I am about my own success.
- I promise to be so strong that nothing can disturb my peace of mind.
- I promise to forget the mistakes of the past and press on towards greater achievements in the future.
- I promise to wear a cheerful appearance at all times and give every person I meet the gift of a smile.
- I promise to give so much time too improving myself that I have no time to criticize others.
- I promise to be too large for worry, too noble for anger, too strong for fear, and too happy to permit trouble to press in on me.
Wow! What a list! If you make and keep these nine promises to yourselves on a daily basis, not only will they lead you towards success and happiness, but they will also help you take action. Do you know why? Because all nine promises are actions. They are all positive investments you make in yourself as well as in the lives of others. Pretty powerful promises, if you ask me.
So let’s go ahead and take one action together right now. Repeat after me: I PROMISE!
Question: Which one of the nine promises above do you need to make to yourself today?