Happiness is not automatic. You must do certain things. So let’s get to it! If you want to know how to be happy, here are 8 things you must do.
1. Stop worrying so much about what people think. If you do, you’ll struggle experiencing happiness because other people will control how you feel. One of the first rules for how to be happy is to stop seeking everyone’s approval.
2. Invest in yourself. Investment can be defined as “the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth.” Investing in yourself means you are creating future wealth in YOURSELF. Are you exercising? That’s an investment in your health. Are you reading books, listening to uplifting podcasts, and attending conferences? That’s an investment in your personal and professional development? Are you attending church? That’s an investment in your spiritual life. All these investments create the compound interest of a happy, full life.
3. Be consistent. Do you walk your talk? I hope so, because it’s impossible to be a happy fake.
4. Find work you love. Most people spend more time at work than anywhere else. If you don’t find work that’s a good fit for you, it’s hard to be happy.
5. See the glass half full. Happiness is not based on random circumstances. It’s a choice. Therefore, choose to see the positive in both good and tough circumstance. Choose to smile, not because everything is perfect, but because you choose to see the good in everything. Do this and you’ll be surprise how easily happiness comes to you.
6. Serve and give. Want to be happy almost instantly? Serve and give with no strings attached. It’s crazy how serving others blesses you more than those who receive your gift of service.
7. Forgive. This one is tough! But holding onto a grudge doesn’t hurt the other person; it poisons you! Forgiveness takes personal strength and this kind of strength is a sign of happiness.
8. Focus on the now. If you’re like me, you focus on the future. Goals. Plans. Accomplishments. But beware of this approach because if you blink, you might end up missing your life. Slow down. Appreciate the moments. Enjoy now.
Questions: Which of the eight tips helps you most with your happiness? Are there any ideas you would add to our “how to be happy” list?