Decision making. You face a multitude of decisions every day.
- Should you focus on a project or catch up on your Facebook status?
- What should you wear?
- To exercise or not to exercise?
- Should you wake up a bit earlier to read a book or hit the snooze button for the tenth time?
- Should you change jobs?
- How can you best serve your community?
- How do you best equip your children to face the challenges and opportunities in today’s world?
Lots and lots of decision making to do. Some decisions are big. Others…puny. Yet the mere volume of decisions you face each day can feel overwhelming. How often do you get stuck not knowing how to make a decision?
If you feel stuck in your decision making, here is a simple decision-making process that can help you make better decisions faster.
Decision Making Process—Make Better Decisions Faster
Be honest with yourself. Ask yourself two questions:
- What do I really want to do right now?
- What is the best thing I can do right now?
By answering these two questions honestly, you’ll gain clarity and confidence. Why? Because being truthful with yourself is always empowering. Always remember, “the truth shall set you free.”
Keep it simple. Don’t make things complicated. For little decisions, run through the possible scenarios and make your best choice immediately. For bigger decision, list out the pros and cons for each decision, get advice from a few trusted advisers, and then take action.
Move quickly. Most decisions, even big ones, should be made quicker rather than slower. Don’t misunderstand, I’m not talking about rash decisions. However, even big, important decisions can be made within a couple of weeks once you gather enough facts. Spending too much time contemplating a single decision leads to wasted energy and second guessing.
No decision is a decision. The worst possible decision is not making a “mistake.” The worst possible decision is getting stuck making no decision. You can correct a mistake, but indecision is paralyzing.
Question: What helps you most in your decision making?